Monday 31 March 2014

Lackford Lakes

I took my parents to Lackford Lakes, just outside Bury St. Edmunds on Saturday.
I'd never visited myself, but had heard that it was very popular with bird watchers. There are guided walks around the lakes and a sailing centre restricted to one of the eleven or so lakes.
This early in the spring there isn't a lot of blossom out but the walks between hides dotted around the lakes through woodland and waterside paths were accompanied by a wonderful chorus of birdsong. 


Peacock Butterfly
I've been learning a lot about camera setup recently so I concentrated on birds in flight for a while and got some pleasing results. Black head gulls were the most prevalent bird on the lakes, which turned out to be a challenging object to follow in flight!


An egyptian goose sits as a little gull aggravates a pair of black headed gulls 
  

Oyster Catchers coming in to land. Pink footed and Greylag geese in the foreground.

A lapwing hides camouflaged in the centre of the frame
A wren exploring the scrub beside the water 


No comments:

Post a Comment